Contact Us

Lost / Stolen Card

If you have lost or your card has been stolen, contact your Council as soon as possible.

Change of Details

If you have moved house you will need to provide proof of your new address to the Council. If you want to update any other personal details or change any entitlements please contact your Council to find out what evidence (if any) you may need to show them.

Cause for Complaint

If you have a cause for complaint please visit your Council website to find out how to go about reporting issues.

Accessibility and Assistance

If you need help completing the application, support can be provided by your Council or Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT).

Deaf / Hard of Hearing

If you have hearing difficulties, your Council website should offer various methods of contacting them.

Need further Help?

Please visit our FAQs page to see if your query has already been answered.

Find out your local Council contact details from the COSLA website.

Further Information

If you would like to leave any comments or provide feedback about the NEC or this website, please complete the online feedback form.


NECPO Online Feedback Form

National Entitlement Card Programme Office (NECPO) values any feedback and would appreciate you taking a few moments to complete the online feedback form.

 Other Enquiries

If you have any feedback or enquiries regarding the '' service, please contact them directly via their 'Help' page.