National Entitlement Card: Acceptable Proofs


Proof of person (proving name and age), proof of photograph and proof of residence are all required to be verified as part of your application. If applying in-person at a Validation Point all proofs provided must be originals, however if applying via post or email please send clear photographs or scans of your proofs - please do not send any original ID evidence.


These documents are acceptable as proof of person:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Current Passport
  • Photo Driving Licence
  • PASS Hologrammed Card


These documents (current or within last three months) are acceptable as proof of residence:

  • Home Utility Bill (e.g. Gas, Electricity, Land Line Telephone)
  • Council Tax Bill (current financial year)
  • Council / Housing Association Rent Book / Statement / Letter
  • Bank or Mortgage Statement
  • Credit Card Statement
  • Television Licence
  • HMRC Letter
  • DWP Letter / Disability Entitlement Letter
  • Occupational Pension Letter
  • Letter from Care or Residential Home
  • Letter from Local Authority confirming that you are resident within the council area


These documents are acceptable as proof of photograph:

  • Current Passport
  • Photo Driving Licence
  • PASS Hologrammed Card

If you do not have one of the above photo verification proofs then please contact your Local Authority.


Photographs included with applications must be of passport quality and standard. That means that they must be:

  • Passport photo sized – 45mm x 35mm
  • Recent and resemble the applicant
  • Be in colour, be clear and in sharp focus, with a clear difference between the applicant’s face and the background
  • Be taken with eyes open and clearly visible (no sunglasses or tinted glasses and no hair across the eyes)
  • Show the applicant’s full head, without any head covering, unless this is worn for religious beliefs or medical reasons
  • Be taken with nothing covering the face
  • Be a close-up of head and shoulders


Please visit Transport Scotland's website (link opens new window) for a list of acceptable proofs to the Concessionary Travel Scheme for people with a disability.


If a Local Authority Agent is in any doubt about the legitimacy of any documents presented they may ask for additional proofs or reject a customer’s National Entitlement Card application.  Remember that the NEC can be used as proof of age as well as proof of entitlement for many services and the card application verification is critical to many services.